A Bit of an Introduction

Welcome to my Instructional Technology Blog! This particular blog was initialized as a requirement of my EDUC2201 course. I'm very new to the concept of blogging, so I am looking forward to all that I will learn throughout this semester. I'm currently an Elementary Education major; however, I would ultimately like to teach education courses on a collegiate level. Whether I end up in an elementary or college class, I will need to have a good grasp on the technology available to me as an educator. I hope to gain that necessary knowledge from this course so that I will be more readily able to offer my students helpful technological tools to enhance their learning.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Mountaineer

This reflection is in response to both the video watched in 3351 and the article entitled "Mountaineer Circles".

Self knowledge/valuing what we have:
1)To be successful, is it necessary for a person to rid themselves of WV traits?

The term "successful" is one that is subjective. Who determines what defines successful? Due to the overwhelming poverty level found in our state, our definition of successful looks quite different than that from say, New York. I think part of being successful is embracing who you are and where you come from. West Virginians should never rid themselves of their heritage and cultural traits in order to fit into an ideal mold for someone else. However, this is so often the case for many residents of this state. They feel the need to get out and shake off their traits of West Virginia for people to take them seriously. In my opinion this is unnecessary. For example, my boyfriend is now a graduated music education major who is a true West Virginian through and through. He speaks with a distinctive accent typical of this area. His professors at his college urged him to rid himself of this accent because it made him sound unprofessional. I do not feel as though this should have been said to him at all, especially from other WV residents. He speaks clearly and with correct grammar, but possesses an almost southern draw. Why should we, as West Virginians, deny our culture and change ourselves to fit what others deem professional? Embracing these traits and supporting the culture we live in is part of what makes us successful.

The power of nature:
2)What should be our attitude towards outsiders that misunderstand our way of life?

We are used to the power of our land here in West Virginia, but many people who don't live here don't understand it. To some nature is a dirty, scary place where bugs and animals reside. However nature, particularly West Virginian nature, is so much more. It is difficult to explain the "awe and wonder" feeling one can get from observing the power of WV's landscape, but if you've ever climbed to the top of Seneca Rocks and seen the view or stood at the lookout at New River Gorge, you know the feeling. I could be considered a West Virginian who is very close to nature. There is no place I'd rather be than on a stream in the mountains fishing for trout or in my tree stand waiting for the perfect buck to walk in my field. These activities might seem absurd, but they allow me time to enjoy the world around me and think. Often the attitude from outsiders matches our attitude towards them. Intolerance and misunderstanding are traits that can be found with both parties. It is important to break this trend and begin to encourage outsiders to experience the wonder of our land like we do. We should try to show what our life is like here as well as be tolerant to their way of life back home. Maybe showing the benefits of living in West Virginia might change the opinions of the outsiders who negatively view it.

No comments:

Post a Comment